(6A) Mr. Jose Parra and Ms. Peñaherrera:
Mr. Parra has been an educator since 2003 and holds a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering from the National University of Colombia and attended Florida Atlantic University to obtain his Florida Professional Certification in Mathematics.
Ms. Peñaherrera has been an educator since 1998 and holds a Bachelor’s degree in Law from Catholic University in Quito, Ecuador and a Bachelor’s Degree in Education from Universidad Indoamericana in Quito, Ecuador.
(6B) Mr. Aldonny Varela holds a Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy and a Master’s Degree in Theology & Philosophy from Ateneo Regina Apostolorum in Rome, Italy. He has a diploma in Humanities from Salamanca, Spain. He also holds a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership from San Ignacio University in Miami. Mr. Varela is a seasoned religion educator and taught youth groups and led projects and retreats with missions worldwides. Thanks to his mission worldwide, he lived and learned languages, in countries such as: Italy, Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, and Spain allowing him to impart his passion for art, history, languages, and culture in the curriculum.
FAITH FORMATION HIGHLIGHTS
• Living Stations of the Cross Production
• Study of the Old Testament
MAJOR FOCUSES OF SIXTH GRADE
• Composition – Developing writing skills using various forms of technology, research and self-reflection.
• Reading – Comprehension through analysis, synthesis, & evaluation skills Accelerated Reading Program.
• Math – Integers, percents and proportions, powers and roots, equation solving, statistics and probability, geometry.
• English – Grammar, Usage, Mechanics, Fluency.
• Spanish – Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening and Culture.
• Social Studies – World History, Economics, and Geography.
• Physical Education – Team sports: soccer, volleyball, flag football, softball/ baseball, cross country, basketball, tennis
• Art – Masters Study: Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Kandinsky, Bonheur Pet portraits, student portraits.
• Science – Weather and Climate, Forces and Energy, Cells, Classification of LIfe, Scientific Inquiry
• Study Hall – Independent study
MAJOR PROJECTS OF SIXTH GRADE
• Living Stations of the Cross
• Group Collaborated Children’s Book focused on human rights
• Author Research Project
• Collaborative Movie Posters
• IVAN CAPP Parts of Speech Project
• Shark Tank
• STREAM Cross Curricular projects
SUBJECTS, TEXTBOOKS & CURRICULUM
• Religion – Sophia Institute
• Math – Glencoe MATH Course 2, IXL (students are grouped by ability)
• Science – Glencoe Level 1 (Frog)
• Social Studies – Discovering our Past: History of the World, McGraw Hill
• English – Pearson
• Reading – McGraw Hill ELA StudySync
• Technology – Microsoft
• Vocabulary & Spelling – Sadlier-Oxford
• Spanish & Heritage Spanish – (twice a week) – Realidades 1 and Savvas Realize online activities. IXL
• Physical Education (twice a week) – team sports
• Computer History, Online Security, Virus and Spyware Prevention, Touch Typing, Microsoft Word, Power Point
• iPads for all students and access to numerous educational iPad apps, use of iMovie
• Computer Lab
• BenQ Boards in all classrooms
• Accelerated Reading Program
• Google Classroom
• Star Math
• Star Reading
• National Spelling Bee
• National Geography Bee
• Group Collaborated Children’s Book
• St. Vincent de Paul Seminary
• St. John Paul II Academy Tour and Play
• IXL.com Summer Math Program
• Summer Reading