(5A) Miss Nancy Barcia holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Elementary Education, from Florida Atlantic University. She is certified in Elementary Education K-6, and ESE- K-12. She has over twenty years experience teaching both fifth grade and middle school students. Each child is a gift from God and as an educator she can bring out their gifts through patience, love, and faith.
(5B) Mrs. Melanie Vale holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of Miami. She has five years of experience in education and has been a part of the SJA Family since 2017. This is her second year teaching 5th grade at St. Joan.
FAITH FORMATION HIGHLIGHTS
• The Religious Knowledge Book is provided to all students.
• They are responsible for learning all of these basic teachings (#1- 47)
• Mass and Buddies in Kindergarten
• Class Masses
• Catholic Social Contract
• Weekly Scripture and TTT
MAJOR FOCUSES OF FIFTH GRADE
• 6 Writing Traits, Thinking Maps
• Reading Comprehension including analysis, synthesis, and evaluation skills
• Composition and the Writing Process
• Research and Technology
• AR Program (rubric for earning grades according to the points
each book is worth –shop in the store with points)
• Add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions and decimals
• United States History
MAJOR PROJECTS OF FIFTH GRADE
• Language Arts – Grammar skills, emphasis on formal English
• Reading Comprehension – including analysis, synthesis, and evaluation skills
• Six Traits Writing – Composition. teaches students how to write formal essays with a strong voice and an emphasis on learning and creating their best writing.
• Research and Technology – Citing sources, MLA Format
• AR (Accelerated Reader) Program
• Math – place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, fractions, simplify(reduce), mixed numbers, decimals, problem solving, integers.
• Science – Variety of Classroom activities, including experiments, and Stream Projects with an emphasis on the teachings of the Catholic Church. (Florida State Standards,NGSS) Physical Science, Scientific Method and Experiments,Earth and Space Science,Life Science, and Technology.
• Social Studies – Variety of Classroom activities that incorporate the (Florida State Standards & CPALMS) American History, Geography, Economics and Civics and Government.
• Spanish – once a week
• Art – twice a week
• Physical Education – twice a week
(5th grade students can try out for basketball, cheerleading, tennis, volleyball, soccer, softball)
• Individual iPads
• Technology Lab
• BenQ Interactive Board
• State of the Art Technology Lab
• Spelling Bee
• Geography Bee
• National Poetry Contest
• Junior Achievement Biztown Trip
• AR Reading