(2A) Miss Heather Castelli graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in psychology from Florida State University. She holds a master’s degree from Nova Southeastern University in School Guidance and Counseling. She has been an educator since 2017.
(2B) Miss Andrea Assenza graduated from the University of Florida, cum laude, with a Bachelor of Arts in Education. Her major was elementary education. Miss Assenza is a St. Joan of Arc Alumni and has been teaching since 2015.
FAITH FORMATION HIGHLIGHTS
• First Reconciliation
• First Communion
MAJOR FOCUSES OF SECOND GRADE
• Reading Fluency
• Reading Comprehension – Skills: Main Idea, Compare and Contrast, Author’s Purpose, Story Structure, Cause and Effect, Sequence of Events, Summarizing – Genre: Fiction and Non Fiction/Informational Text
• Phonics, Spelling, and Vocabulary Building
• Six Writing Traits – Composition and the Writing Process – Journal Writing
• Accelerated Reading (AR)
• Math: Place Value, Addition and Subtraction with or without regrouping, Problem Solving – Skills: Introduction to Geometry, Fractions, Time and Money
• Science/Studies: Research Projects, Simple Experiments, Scholastic Weekly Readers. Topics include: Animals, Space, Natural Resources, Earth Day, Communities, Map Reading
MAJOR PROJECTS OF SECOND GRADE
• Service Project
• Around the World Day
• First Communion
• Creative Writing
SUBJECTS, TEXTBOOKS & CURRICULUM
• Language Arts – Reading: Journeys-Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Spelling: Houghton Mifflin, Phonics: Sadlier, English/Grammar: Macmillan and McGrawHill, Handwriting: Scott Foresman-Addison Wesley
• Math – Sadlier
• Religion – Christ in Us Series – Sadlier
• Science – Scott Foresman
• Social Studies – Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
• Spanish (once a week)
• PE (twice a week)
• Art (twice a week)
• Clubs/Extra Curricular Activities – Beginning Band- Violins, Ballet, Drama, Irish Step Dancing, Brownies and Boy Scouts, Spanish Club, STREAM club, soccer, tennis, and more!
• BenQ Interactive Board, Class Set of iPads
• Research using the web – World Book/Britannica Online/Brain Pop Jr.
• Art Projects using Paint/Publisher
• Butterfly World ***not at the moment due to COVID